Effective: December 2, 2019
This Privacy Statement explains how Pierre Companies, Inc. (“Pierre, “we,” or “us”) collects and uses your personal information to provide our services to you. This Privacy Statement applies to personal information we collect when you use our websites, mobile applications and other online products and services (collectively, the “Services”) or when you otherwise interact with us. This Privacy Statement does not apply to websites, applications, or services that display or link to other privacy statements.
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. If we make changes, we will notify you by revising the date at the top of this page. If we make material changes, we will provide you with notice through the Services or through other means, such as email. We encourage you to review the Privacy Statement whenever you access the Services or otherwise interact with us to stay informed about our privacy practices and the ways in which you can exercise choice over these practices. The practices described in this Privacy Statement are subject to applicable laws in the locations in which we operate; this means that we only engage in the practices described below in a particular location if permitted under the laws of that location. Capitalized terms used but not defined in this Privacy Statement have the meanings given to them in the Terms of Service.
2. INFORMATION WE COLLECT
There are three general categories of information we collect.
2.1 Information You Give to Us.
2.1.1 Information that is necessary for the use of the Pierre Platform.
We ask for and collect the following personal information about you when you use the Pierre Platform. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us and to allow us to comply with our legal obligations. Without it, we may not be able to provide you with all the requested services.
- Account Information. When you sign up for an account for our Services (an “Account”), you provide us your name, phone number, email address, password, and zip code to register with us. In addition, we collect information as part of your customer and pet profile, such as your name, your phone number, your image, your pets image, your pets name, vaccination information, pet breed, as well as your pets date of birth.
- Profile and Listing Information. To use certain features of the Pierre Platform (such as booking or creating a Listing), we may ask you to provide additional information, which may include your address, phone number, and a profile picture.
- Identity Verification Information. To help create and maintain a trusted environment, we may collect identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license, as permitted by applicable laws) or other authentication information.
- Payment Information. To use certain features of the Pierre Platform (such as booking or creating a Listing), we may require you to provide certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) in order to facilitate the processing of payments (via WEPAY Payments - A Chase Banking Company).
- Communications with PIierre and other Members. When you communicate with Pierre or use the Pierre Platform to communicate with other Members, we collect information about your communication and any information you choose to provide.
2.1.2 Information you choose to give us.
You may choose to provide us with additional personal information in order to obtain a better user experience when using the Pierre Platform. This additional information will be processed based on our legitimate interest or when applicable, your consent.
- Address Book Contact Information. You may choose to import your address book contacts or enter your contacts’ information manually to access certain features of the Pierre Platform, like inviting them to use Pierre.
- Other Information. You may otherwise choose to provide us information when you leave a review, update or add information to your Pierre Account, respond to surveys, post to community forums, participate in promotions, communicate with our customer care team, share your experience with us (such as through Reviews or our Blog), or use other features of the Pierre Platform.
2.1.3 Information that is necessary for the use of the Payment Services.
The Payments Data Controller needs to collect the following information necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable law (such as anti-money laundering regulations). Without it, you will not be able to use Payment Services:
- Payment Information. When you use the Payment Services, the Payments Data Controller requires certain financial information (like your bank account or credit card information) in order to process payments and comply with applicable law.
- Identity Verification and Other Information. If you are a Pet Service Merchant, WEPAY Payments Data Controller may require identity verification information (such as images of your government issued ID, passport, national ID card, or driving license) or other authentication information, your date of birth, your address, email address, phone number and other information in order to verify your identity, provide the Payment Services to you, and to comply with applicable law.
2.1.4 Information We Automatically Collect from Your Use of the Pierre Platform and Payment Services.
When you use the Pierre Platform and the WEPAY Payment Services, we automatically collect personal information about the services you use and how you use them. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, to enable us to comply with legal obligations and given our legitimate interest in being able to provide and improve the functionalities of the Pierre Platform and WEPAY Payment Services.
- Geo-location Information. When you use certain features of the Pierre Platform, we may collect information about your precise or approximate location as determined through data such as your IP address or mobile device’s GPS to offer you an improved user experience. Most mobile devices allow you to control or disable the use of location services for applications in the device’s settings menu. Pierre may also collect this information even when you are not using the app if this connection is enabled through your settings or device permissions.
- Usage Information. We collect information about your interactions with the Pierre Platform such as the pages or content you view, your searches for Listings, bookings you have made, and other actions on the Pierre Platform.
- Log Data and Device Information. We automatically collect log data and device information when you access and use the Pierre Platform, even if you have not created an Pierre Account or logged in. That information includes, among other things: details about how you’ve used the Pierre Platform (including if you clicked on links to third party applications), IP address, access dates and times, hardware and software information, device information, device event information, unique identifiers, crash data, cookie data, and the pages you’ve viewed or engaged with before or after using the Pierre Platform.
- Do Not Track Signals. While you may disable the usage of cookies through your browser settings, the Pierre Platform currently does not respond to a “Do Not Track” signal in the HTTP header from your browser or mobile application due to lack of standardization regarding how that signal should be interpreted.
- Payment Transaction Information. WEPAY Payments collects information related to your payment transactions through the Pierre Platform, including the payment instrument used, date and time, payment amount, payment instrument expiration date and billing postcode, email address, IBAN information, your address and other related transaction details. This information is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and Pierre Payments and to allow the provision of the Payment Services.
2.1.5 Information We Collect from Third Parties.
Pierre and WEPAY Payments may collect information, including personal information, that others provide about you when they use the Pierre Platform and the WEPAYPayment Services, or obtain information from other sources and combine that with information we collect through the Pierre Platform and the WEPAY Payment Services. We do not control, supervise or respond for how the third parties providing your information process your Personal Information, and any information request regarding the disclosure of your personal information to us should be directed to such third parties.
- Third Party Services. If you link, connect, or login to your Pierre Account with a third party service (e.g. Google, Facebook) the third party service may send us information such as your registration, friends list, and profile information from that service. This information varies and is controlled by that service or as authorized by you via your privacy settings at that service.
- Background Information. For Members in the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws, Pierre and WEPAY Payments may obtain reports from public records of criminal convictions or sex offender registrations. For Members outside of the United States, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required, Pierre and WEPAY Payments may obtain the local version of police, background or registered sex offender checks. We may use your information, including your full name and date of birth, to obtain such reports.
- Referrals. If you are invited to Pierre, the person who invited you may submit personal information about you such as your email address or other contact information.
- Other Sources. To the extent permitted by applicable law, we may receive additional information about you, such as demographic data or information to help detect fraud and safety issues, from third party service providers and/or partners, and combine it with information we have about you. For example, we may receive background check results (with your consent where required) or fraud warnings from service providers like identity verification services for our fraud prevention and risk assessment efforts. We may receive information about you and your activities on and off the Pierre Platform through partnerships, or about your experiences and interactions from our partner ad networks.
2.2 Children’s Data.
Our websites and applications are not directed to children under 16 and we do not knowingly collect any personal information directly from children under 16. If you believe that we processing the personal information pertaining to a child inappropriately, we take this very seriously and urge you to contact us using the information provided under the “Contact Us” section below.
3. HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use, store, and process personal information to (1) provide, understand, improve, and develop the Pierre Platform, (2) create and maintain a trusted and safer environment (such as to comply with our legal obligations and ensure compliance with Pierre Policies) and (3) provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing.
3.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the Pierre Platform. We may use the personal information to provide, improve, and develop the Pierre Platform such as to:
- enable you to access and use the Pierre Platform,
- enable you to communicate with other Members,
- operate, protect, improve, and optimize the Pierre Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research,
- provide customer service,
- send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications,
- if you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection
- We may share the personal information we collect with third parties as follows or as otherwise described in this Privacy Statement:
- when you make or accept a booking;
- when you sign up for and participate in the interactive areas of our Services, such as creating a user profile or writing a review;
- with vendors, consultants, business partners, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property or safety of Pierre, its employees, its users (including their pets), or the public;
- in connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing, acquisition, pestiture, bankruptcy, dissolution, or other transaction or proceeding involving sale, transfer or pestiture of all or a portion of our business or assets to another company, to the extent permitted under applicable law;
- between and among Pierre and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control and ownership;
- on an aggregated and anonymized basis; and
- with your consent or at your direction.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in improving the Pierre Platform and our Members’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
3.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment. We may use the personal information to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment such as to:
- detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity,
- conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
- verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide),
- conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background or police checks, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required,
- comply with our legal obligations,
- Resolve any disputes with any of our Members and enforce our agreements with third parties,
- enforce our Terms of Service and other policies, and
- in connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the Pierre Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to the Pierre Platform, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes may restrict or suspend access to the Pierre Platform if such processes detect activity that we think poses a safety or other risk to the Pierre Platform, our community, or third parties. If you challenge the decisioning based on the automated process, please contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in protecting the Pierre Platform, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
3.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing. We may use the personal information to provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing such as to:
- send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences (including information about Wepay or partner campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google),
- personalize, measure, and improve our advertising,
- Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by Pierre or its third party partners,
- conduct profiling on your characteristics and preferences (based on the information you provide to us, your interactions with the Pierre Platform, information obtained from third parties, and your search and booking history) to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you,
- enrolling in an email subscription will not affect the frequency of administrative emails that we may send in connection with any Pierre Account. No fee is charged for sending promotional emails to you, but third-party data rates may apply. Note that you may not be able to take advantage of certain promotions if you do not have an Pierre Account, and
- invite you to events and relevant opportunities (for example, when you share your Host story, we may use the information provided to reach out to you to invite you to relevant events).
We will process your personal information for the purposes listed in this section given our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest.
3.4. Social Sharing Features
The Services may offer social sharing features and other integrated tools (such as the Facebook “Like” button), which let you share actions you take on our Services with other media, and vice versa. Your use of such features enables the sharing of information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the entity that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of information collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the entities that provide these features.
3.5 Advertising and Analytics Services Provided by Third Parties
3.4 How the WEPAY Payments Data Controller uses the Personal Information Collected. We may use the personal information as a part of Payment services such as to:
- Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
- Detect and prevent fraud, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
- Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
- Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
- Comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations).
- Enforce the Payment Terms and other payment policies.
- With your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences.
The WPAY Payments Data Controller processes this personal information given its legitimate interest in improving the Payment Services and its users’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable laws.
Pierre takes reasonable measures designed to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, use, disclosure, alteration and destruction. Please be aware that no method of transmission over the Internet or through mobile applications is 100% safe. Therefore, although we use commercially reasonable means to protect your information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
5.Transfer and Location of Information
The information we collect may be stored and processed in your region, in the United States, or in any other country where we or our affiliates, subsidiaries, or service providers maintain facilities. The processing locations are chosen in order to operate efficiently, to improve performance, and to create redundancies in order to protect information in the event of an outage or other problem. We take steps designed to ensure that the information we collect under this statement is processed according to the provisions of this statement and applicable law wherever the information is located.
We retain information for as long as necessary to provide the products and fulfill the transactions you have requested, or for other essential purposes such as complying with our legal obligations, resolving disputes, and enforcing our agreements. Because these needs can vary for different information types in the context of different products, actual retention periods can vary based on criteria such as user expectations or consent, the sensitivity of the information, the availability of automated controls that enable users to delete information, and our legal or contractual obligations.
7.Managing Your Account
You may update, correct or delete certain information about you at any time by logging into your account through our website or our mobile application and navigating to the ‘Profile’ link. If you need assistance, you may contact us using the contact information below.
If you wish to deactivate your account, please contact us using the contact information below. We may decline requests that are prohibited by law, could adversely affect the privacy or other rights of another person, where we are unable to authenticate you as the person to whom the information relates, or are not required to be honored by applicable law.
When you first install or launch any of our mobile applications that collect location information, you will be asked to consent to the application’s collection of this information. We require location information to use certain features of our Services, so if you do not consent to this collection, you cannot use those features. If you initially consent to our collection of location information, you can subsequently stop the collection of this information at any time by changing the preferences on your mobile device. If you do so, certain features of our mobile applications will no longer function. You may also stop our collection of location information by following the standard uninstall process to remove our mobile application from your device.
You may choose whether you wish to receive marketing emails from Pierre by updating your “Notifications” preferences under “Account Settings” in your online Pierre profile or through our mobile application. If you receive marketing emails and you wish to opt-out, you may also do so by clicking “Unsubscribe” in those emails. If you opt out of receiving marketing emails, we may still send you Service-related emails, such as those about your account or your ongoing business relationship with us.
9.1 Mobile Push Notifications/Alerts
We may send push notifications or alerts to your mobile device. You can deactivate these messages at any time by changing the notification settings on your mobile device.
9.2 Text Messages
With your consent as required by applicable law, we may send marketing and/or service-related text messages to your mobile device. You may opt out of receiving these messages by following the prompt in an inpidual message or updating your “Notifications” preferences under “Account Settings” in your online Puerre profile or through our mobile application. However, if you are a Service Provider in the U.S. or Canada, certain Pet Service Merchants providers that you provide (as detailed in the Pierre Service) may require you to receive service-related messages. If you do not want to receive these service-related text messages, then in addition to adjusting your Notifications preferences, you must withdraw from providing such Pet Service Merchants this information by opting out.
Refer to our Cookies for information on how to manage your choices with cookies used on our website.
UK and European Economic Area Data Protection Rights
If the processing of your personal data is subject to UK or EEA data protection law, then in addition to the controls listed above, you have certain rights with respect to that information:
- You can request access to or rectification of your personal data.
- You can request deletion of your personal data. However, please note that a request to delete your personal data may be restricted if there is a valid legal reason to retain it and may continue to be retained by third parties with whom you communicated through the Pierre. We may also retain cached or archived copies of information about your account for up to a year;
- If the processing of personal data is based on your consent, you can withdraw consent at any time for future processing;
- You may have the right to request your personal data in a format in which it can be transferred to another provider;
- You can object to our processing of your personal data if that processing is based on the “Legitimate Interests” basis set forth above; and
- For residents of France, you can send us specific instructions regarding the use of your information after your death.
Pierre Companies, Inc.
555 W. 5th St
Los Angeles, Ca. 90013
Please call us using the phone number for your region listed below or email us at email@example.com